Dympna Atwell's Blog
Beginning a new habit, job, or task could be daunting. Your debut as a designer could even be frightening. However, like any other task, some tips help starters and experienced decorators alike.
Several tools aid in creating great designs, but often the whole design process is left to the designer to decide, and that could be hard for beginners. However, the tips below will help you when starting.
- Keep it simple. Most beginners think their designs will make sense if they include all they know about designing into a project. However, results have shown that the opposite is the case. As much as possible, ensure that your designs are simple and carry the message for which you created them. That is what makes it a design, not clustered ideas.
- Use colors wisely. Another problem most beginner designers fall into is using too many colors. Colors are a sensitive part of any design, and you should be careful in using them. Of course, you need colors in your plans, but use ones that are complementary with the general design. For instance, in choosing a color scheme, you don't need more than one to three primary colors and an additional one to three secondary colors that complement each other.
- Create an order with alignment. Order is critical in design. So, don't create a project without ensuring it is properly in order through alignment where each item connects to the others. Using alignment makes sure that your design elements aren't scattered but relate well with each other.
- Be creative and original. Creativity and originality are virtues that are must-haves in designing.
- Ask for help. In any endeavor ones take up, some people started earlier of whom you can ask questions. These people have the experience, so when you run into a problem or are not sure about a thing, don't hesitate to ask questions.
- Take a break. Designing takes a lot of mental energy, and you can feel drained after or during designing. When you do, ensure to take a break. Leave the design for a while, and take a break. You can see a movie before going back to it. By the time you are back, you will be fully refreshed to start all over again.
If you need professional help, your realtor may be able to make a referral.